History of School and Public Lands
Additional lands were also provided and could be
divided as the State wished. The South Dakota
Constitution divided these lands between the state's
universities, the School for the Visually
Handicapped, the School for the Deaf, State Training
School, and the Developmental Center in Redfield.
To manage these lands and the money they generated,
the constitution established the Office of the
Commissioner of School and Public Lands.
According to the constitution, common school and
indemnity lands were either to be sold or leased and
the proceeds deposited in a permanent trust fund for
education. The principal could be increased, but
never diminished. Interest from the fund was to be
used for funding education.
Each year the office returns approximately $12
million to school districts and endowed
institutions. The money is generated from grazing,
mineral, oil and gas leases, interest on the Common
School Permanent Fund, and interest on land sales
"The Commissioner of School and Public Lands shall have the direction, management, and control of all lands heretofore granted or which may hereafter be granted to this state by the United States..."
When South Dakota became a state in 1889, the federal government granted the state over 3.5 million acres of land. In each township sections 16 and 36 were to be used for schools and other public purposes. These are known as common school lands. If these sections were already settled, the government provided replacement lands known as indemnity lands.
12 minute podcast on SD School and Public Lands with Rob Monson, Executive Director of School Administrators of South Dakota.